Main menu

Pages

Are Some iOS Apps Bypassing Apple's Notification Settings?

Recently I noticed with a couple of game apps that I have installed on my iPhone - a badge App icon. I thought to myself, that's strange because I thought I turned off all notifications for those apps.

I opened the games and as I expected it was a useless, spam, badge alert of an advertisement for some other iOS game. These are one of the reasons why I turn off notifications on all iOS games - they mostly push you junk.

So after leaving the app I headed to the iOS Notification Settings to check that App Badges were switched off for those apps. As I thought they would be, they were off. Strange. How are these apps getting notifications / badges through, when I have all notifications for the app set to 'off'?

I switched 'on' notifications to see if there was a badge notification setting on, even though the whole app was supposed to be off - and nope. Not even a setting for badges. I checked the game for a setting and didn't find one there, either.

Can app developers bypass Apple's notification settings? Make badge alerts show up on apps even when users have asked to not allow them? All of this seems wrong.

Have you experienced any apps that would not take 'no' for an answer? Let me know in the comments!

reactions

Comments