Main menu

Pages

Real professional hardware? A working day with the Surface Pro 4

Can the Surface Pro 4 replace a large PC in their daily work? Microsoft says yes, but we wanted to test rather hand. An editor at Surface-self-experiment.

The Surface Pro Series is marketed by Microsoft as a fully working device. Reason enough for us, the new Surface Pro 4 times to test the actual working life. A whole working day I have therefore left me exclusively to the Pro 4 and can go through at my normal work computer in the meantime, the long-overdue Windows updates.

The start of the working day - Setup is half the battle
The Surface Pro 4 comes from the factory with Windows 10, an operating system that I use privately for months on several computers. At the working capability of the software itself is for me therefore in principle no longer any doubt. To get the Surface fit for daily work, I still have to make a few adjustments.

Unusually I only have a 12.3-inch display and no two monitors are available. Thus, for example, the Chrome browser is indispensable for me, because there - let Stick Window individual tabs - unlike currently in Edge. So I can see a lot more tabs in a browser window. Due to the lack of a second screen is no way around it.
In addition, of course, I still need a number of programs for writing and editing images. Here Windows turns 10 the same time have an advantage. The fact that on the surface a full-fledged Windows is running, there is virtually no restrictions on what the use of various programs in terms - it runs simple in theory every possible Windows software.

In addition, I use the opportunity and closing a mouse to the USB port of the Surface Pro 4 at. Although the trackpad works really well on the keyboard cover, but it works with a mouse simply productive. In addition, a mouse is portable and can be taken anywhere. In order to satisfy the requirements that also claimed the Surface itself for itself.

Working with the Surface - the first hour
An hour after I set the Surface Pro 4, I am already completely absorbed in the normal work routine and wrote my first article completed, edited and set in the content management system of TECH TECH. Were there any problems or restrictions? Not at all. Once I had taken up the work, this was practically as smoothly as usual. Productivity losses are for me so far not felt - and because the colleagues have not yet complained, these probably have nothing to complain about at my pace.

With the workstation into the meeting
I usually go armed into the editorial meeting with writing pad, pen and smartphone. Today I take with the Surface Pro. 4 My work programs I let on. The windows are minimized, however, and put the unit in the tablet mode. The keyboard I do not need. But I suppose with the Surface pen to me to make a few notes. Here I use the Outlook feature, in which the program will automatically recognize my handwriting on the screen and converts it into typescript. With difficulty I manage to write it so that Outlook can decipher my claw.

In itself, it is very convenient that I can create my notes directly on the computer and save, I'm working on - anyway, I will probably first stay in the future when pen and paper. This just feels natural. Also, the great thing is to have an editorial meeting that you times not sitting here at the computer.

As for the Surface Pen per se, I think it is like Steve Jobs: "Who wants a Pencil?" Asked this 2007. I for one have been no need to use the stylus excessively. And why, if I can connect a mouse?

Toller workflow thanks to good performance
The lunch break is on and so far I can not complain. The Surface Pro 4 does not disappoint even with the performance. With an Intel Core i5 and 4GB of RAM allows the editorial work done without any problems. Apart from the fact that the display is much smaller than usual, everything goes very easy on the hand.

Since then missing but a few terminals
15 clock and I have finally the counselor at the best video player for Android Apps finished - again, of course with many screenshots. The I transfer normally equal wired from your phone to the PC. In USB port on the Surface but unfortunately already infected the mouse - the first setback. Of course it's in the case, but only a small restriction, because through the cloud storage do I get the data but then on the computer.
Here, however, indicate already at the limits of the Surface Pro. 4 A USB port is nice, but would not be sufficient in many situations. What is, for example, if I want to, in addition to mouse connect a hard disk? Such a scenario is not unrealistic in everyday life. Since then have inevitably produces a stroke.

Multitasking: Why should that be a problem?
Especially with tablets, who want to be more than pure fun machine, you can hear these days a lot of multitasking. When iPad Pro can be, for example, two apps side by side on the screen represent, in many other manufacturers' equipment that works too. Windows provides this function also for some time, but actually need them most in tablet mode. Once the surface in desktop mode, it's just a normal PC and offers thanks to the program, and browser windows, taskbar and shortcuts much more multitasking as any conventional tablet. In fact, I have to make do not worry about such things. Why am I still write about it? Because it is an important point that the Surface Pro 4 other devices ahead.

The Cloud helps
On connecting external hard drives I have already written. What really helps is the fact that a large part of my work is already functioning cloud based. Many documents I do not have to save on the computer on which I work, therefore. For devices like the Surface Pro 4 that come along with no hard drive, which is a blessing. I realize that this does not not work in every workplace and also with me every day like that. Nevertheless, the conclusion can be that mobile devices such as the Surface definitely benefit from the cloud trend.

Conclusion: Yes, it is a working tool
17:30 clock and the working time is over for me. That alone says a lot already. More time than usual I have not wasted with the Surface Pro 4 namely. The pace of work with the small Convertible is surprisingly good - much better than imagined. Apart from the smaller screen, there was virtually no difference to the work on a large PC. Thanks to Windows 10 I had on any of my cherished programs dispense and if I want, I can even carry around the device as a Tablet with me. Only connect multiple USB devices at the same time has not been possible because I did not have a corresponding stroke.

All in all, gets the Surface Pro 4 as a working device from me but both thumbs up. It has genuinely surprised me how well I was able to work with the device. I can therefore imagine that those computers will be available in the future much more often at various jobs to me - also because other manufacturers such as Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer and Co. pick up on the concept and its own equipment with some attractive prices on the market bring.

reactions

Comments