Main menu

Pages

Why I Need a Kindle AND an iPad


With the caveat IF you're a dedicated reader
The Kindle has changed my life as a reader. After turning [cough] 40 I couldn't read regular books comfortably with or without my new (cute) reading glasses (& forget paperback books!) and I stopped reading as much as I used to. [sad face] During a Bethany Beach VaCa or summer break I used to read at least a book a day! Heck, I read the last Harry Potter in like one (long) sitting! (ok, it was 5am! but still) Thus, the Kindle, with it's comfy E-Ink better than paper display which allows for reading in extreme lighting situations and minimizes eye-strain, and it's ability to change font size has changed all that. I am back to reading again and it feels SO RIGHT!

iPad-Licious!
I've been thinking about this for a long time - holding out to buy an iPad for gen 2 -(and if you follow me on Twitter you know that I happily lost that fight) I even got a smaller NEW graphite Kindle for Christmas for travel! (see above & thanks Mom & Dad!) Resplendent in its GEEK CHIC handmade Dodo Case!
Stay tuned for an extended blog posting about the iPad special features & must have Apps (with super cool guest posters, too!) coming soon.

But just today my dear Auntie Lynn of Life with Lynn (my BEST blogging student!) emailed my mother & I this request: "Dear Gwynnie and Sissy, I have been thinking that maybe I neeeeeeed a kindle... and I know that you both have one. Do you love it??? Do you USE it??? Do you recommend it???"

And this is what I wrote:

Things to take into consideration before buying an eReader:
  • Buy the regular (not colour) Nook if you read for more than 2 hours at time on VaCa and if you have more than 1 friend you know who already has one NEAR YOU, likes EXACTLY what you like to read & you want to share books
  • buy the Colour Nook if you have friends to share books with, don't have a smart phone & will never buy an iPad (see more below)
  • If not...then get the Kindle. I love my Kindles!
  • Splurge & buy the LARGE Black KindleDX with 3G if you read fast and you read for 2+ hours or more at a time for comfort & eyes and less pushing of NEXT PAGE and you like to carry big purses or tote bags.
  • Buy the little black (graphite) Kindle WiFi if you want a bargain, you're a dedicated reader who likes to read for a long time everywhere & anywhere, you have a lot of WiFi spots near you... & you like to tuck into a purse for travel
  • Splurge & buy the little Kindle 3g if you don't have a smart phone for the enhanced features of web browsing - I was under the misapprehension that like the iPad 3g there was a monthly connection charge. NOT SO! When you ARE in a 3G network area your Kindle will find it & it will be turbo charged! (doh!) Yeah..so this is your best bet!
For dedicated readers like me - I need the comfy & relaxing E-Ink (NOT LCD Backlit) text of the #Kindle for long time reading.

How I'm Gonna Roll with My Kindle
So now that I have a gorgeous new small Kindle (thanks Mom & Dad!) for when I'm traveling & don't want to be bogged down - I foresee packing my LARGE Kindle Dx in checked baggage for a week at the beach, or for a cruise, for when I'm staying put, relaxing, & wanting to read happily for HOURS. I will carry my little Kindle in my Coach bag for when standing in line at airport security, reading on the plane, & waiting in the doctor's office. With a battery life of a MONTH, slim & lightweight new design, faster page turns, this is truly a brilliant creation!

There's an APP for That: Kindle Books EVERYwhere!
When I have my iPad I can read ALL OF MY Kindle books on the FREE Amazon Kindle App - same with my Droid Fascinate smart phone. LOVE THAT! If I really want to read for short periods in the dark? iPad with Kindle app! The flicking of the page really IS cool.

The Colour Nook: iPad Lite?
"The Nook Color is the big wild card here. It's not as versatile as those tablets, but it's already got a worthwhile Web browser, works as a decent media player (for some audio and video files), and supports Pandora's free music streaming service. Barnes & Noble is pledging to deliver more apps in 2011, and--since the Nook Color uses a version of the Android operating system--porting existing Android apps should be pretty straightforward. The addition of (for instance) a good e-mail app, social media apps (Facebook, Twitter), and real Flash support (already promised) could go a long way to making the Nook Color a "good enough" tablet for users who don't want to pay for the far more expensive likes of an iPad or Galaxy Tab."
- John P. Falcone

So why did I need an iPad, too? Cause it's cool. Full Stop.

As my friends Donna Anderson & Joquetta Johonson say right now: "It's a great Consumer of information." For most things, you need a laptop or a desktop to create but the iPad is a GORGEOUS, nimble, fun, & amazing new tool to consume & share creations.

Also as I RT'd & tweeted:
gwynethjones RT @MrKeenan I'm kinda done with the 'What's the point of the iPad Qs - Me, too! Either you want one or you don't - I have 2 kindles & a #iPad
And I'm really REALLY happy about it! I'm still waiting to see how the Kindles & Nooks line up for adding to my school library - So......

Mark Your Calendars!
Diving into Digital Books: Adding eReaders to Your School Library
Guests: Buffy J. Hamilton & Jennifer LaGarde
Host: Gwyneth Jones
May 2 - 8pm EST
Learn Central Page
Participant Link


Read More:
Kindle vs. Nook vs. iPad: Which e-book reader should you buy?
The Nook vs. Kindle 3- And the Winner Is?





reactions

Comments